All pupils are given an opportunity to learn French at Harwood Meadows. They will be taught to express their ideas and thoughts in French, to understand and respond both in speech and in writing. The learning of French will also provide opportunities for them to communicate for practical purposes and read a range of vocabulary and literature from that language.
- To teach pupils to understand and respond to spoken and written foreign language from a variety of authentic sources
- To enable pupils to speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation as they progress through school
- To teach pupils how to write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- The teaching of French is delivered by the MFL coordinator. It is taught weekly.
- The focus of learning French is on practical communication and teaching provides an appropriate balance of spoken and written language.
- Teaching will enable pupils to understand and communicate ideas, facts and feelings in speech and writing, focused on familiar topics, vocabulary and grammatical structures.
- Children are given opportunities to listen to spoken French and show understanding by joining in and responding
- There will be opportunities for them to explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- The MFL teacher provides opportunities for pupils to engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others
- Pupils will be taught how to speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Teachers ensure that pupils develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases.
- Pupils will learn how to read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Children will be taught how to appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language, broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary.
- They will understand basic French grammar, including feminine and masculine forms.