Home Page


Harwood Meadows School Offer

Our job is to help your child achieve the very best they can at school.  You know your child best and if you feel that he/she may need some additional support in school you should first contact the class teacher and following that the Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENCO) if you have concerns about a specific learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia, speech and language issues.  This school offer is designed to inform you of the types of support available for your child at Harwood Meadows.  It will help you understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.


How does Harwood Meadows Primary School approach the teaching of children with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND)?

In the first instance all pupils in school receive quality first teaching; this means that a range of teaching and learning styles are implemented in each class and that appropriate learning objectives are set for all children with a curriculum matched to their needs.  Some children may require further support to help them in their learning – please refer to the ‘Waves on Intervention’ map at the end of this document for more information.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

Your child’s overall well-being is paramount and at the centre of all we do at Harwood Meadows Primary School. Please refer to our ‘Waves of Intervention’ map for our staged approach to supporting social, mental and emotional health.


How will I know how my child is doing in school?

The progress that your child is making and their attainment in comparison with national average levels will be discussed with you and your child at pupil / parent conferences in the Autumn and Spring term.  You will be able to discuss how well your child is doing in school at these meetings;

If your child receives extra learning support in school (working individually or in a small group with an adult), the class teacher will plan, implement, assess and then review this provision and how well it is working.  This will then be shared with you at pupil / parent conferences where you can discuss with the teacher of any strategies for learning that you feel would be beneficial for your child in school. This cycle of planning / implementation / assess / review will take place termly.  You will also receive a report in the summer term that will inform you of your child’s achievements throughout the year.  If you have any concerns about your child’s learning at any time throughout the year please make an appointment with the class teacher in the first instance and following that the SENCO.


What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need or disability?

If you think that your child has a Special Educational Need and/or a Disability (SEND), please make your concern known to the school by speaking to your child’s class teacher initially who will raise this concern with the SEN lead in school. The concern will be discussed with you and following this discussion, school will carry out the necessary checks to ensure needs are met. We will share our findings with you and agree the next steps for your child.


How does Harwood Meadows Primary School involve children in their education and the decision making process?

The children will be assessed every half term in order that teachers can identify strengths and any gaps in the children’s learning; the class teacher is then able to plan for the their learning needs accordingly.  As a result of the assessments, personal targets for reading, writing and maths will be shared with children individually – children will also have an opportunity to share with their teacher any personal targets they would like to set for themselves.


In addition to this, children will get daily feedback from the class teacher and teaching assistant in lessons regarding immediate next steps in their learning.  This will be given in the form of written feedback (in their books) or verbal feedback.


Who outside of school, can I turn to for advice and support?

If you want advice from professionals outside school, your local GP is a good first point of contact. There are many agencies that can provide you support, some of which are listed below:  



Type of support offered

Contact details

Bolton Information and Advisory Service

The Information and Advisory Service offer advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs.

01204 848722



Pupil and Student Services

Offer support and advice on school admissions.

01204 333143

School Nurse Service

Offer in school support and advice for a child’s health and well-being.

01204 463563

SEND Assessment Service

SEN Officer – Stevie Manion

Advice on Education, Health and Care Plans

01204 338653


For further information about the wide range of support agencies available to you, please refer to the Bolton Local Authority offer.               


How should complaints concerning SEN provision be made and how will they be dealt with?

In the first instance, we would encourage all of our parents to bring their concerns / complaints to the attention of the class teacher in order to resolve any issues; if these concerns are not resolved, parents are encouraged to contact the SENCO, and following that the Head Teacher.  If this does not lead you to a satisfactory resolution, please refer to the Harwood Meadows Complaints Policy which can be obtained from the school office.   


Where can I get a copy of the SEN policy?

A copy of the policy is posted on the school website or alternatively a copy can be requested from the school office.


Contact details for Special Educational Needs lead:



Telephone number

 Hamid Rizvi 

 01204 333702